Monday, November 13, 2006

Monday Lunch

Well, Mondays will not do for blogging because I awaken at 4:30am in order to begin “Monday Lunch.” I deliver lunch to friends in town for a small reimbursement fee. I usually make something hot (soup or sandwich), something cold (salad or sandwich), homemade rolls or bread, and a dessert. They all have to eat the same thing. And they have to wash their glass dishes before I pick them up later in the week.

I don’t finish delivering until 1:30 or 2:00. That’s when I eat my own lunch. And, I finish cleaning up any mess that I had to leave behind.

Today everyone received a Daube de Boeuf, served with noodles, a Minted Pea Salad with Prosciutto, a homemade roll, and my version of Fiadone, a Corsican cheesecake. Unfortunately it was very Americanized because I wasn’t able to find the Corsican cheese, broccio frais, so I substituted cream cheese and Mascarpone cheese. Oh well, it tasted wonderful! And as one of my favorite chefs (Mario Batali) says, and I paraphrase, ”by all means substitute with whatever local ingredient is similar.” Ricotta cheese may have been better, but I had mascarpone that needed to be used.

I’d write more, but I have to spend some time studying vote numbers before the canvass tomorrow. I still can’t believe that Idahoans voted for the wingnut, Bill Sali, or worse, possibly, voted against their own best interests by electing local representatives who oppose raising the minimum wage! It just boggles the mind!

No comments: